Monday, January 09, 2006
why did I come and what did I bring?
You know when you've heard a story over and over again and don't really know how it applies to you, so you start to tune it out anytime it comes up...until one day, someone tells the story in a way you've never heard before, and suddenly it is COMPLETELY relevant! Yeah, that happened to me in church today. You could say I got a little kick in the pants. We're going through the book of John...and today we talked about the temple merchants story (ch2). Well, I grew up hearing that story in Sunday School and always thought, 'those naughty people trying to rip everyone off!' Today I heard a different perspective. This is the point the stuck out in my mind: What if Jesus was not only mad at the merchants, but also the people buying the stuff. See, when God commanded the people to bring sacrifices to the temple, it meant that the people had to raise their own animals and then take their BEST one to the temple by foot (which would've been quite inconvenient with an animal). This was actually a sacrifice to them, it would've cost them time, money, and it would've been quite a hassle. Having merchants at the temple meant that all the people needed to do was show up, bring a little cash (well, probably a lot, cuz they got ripped off), pick out an animal, they bring it over to be sacrificed, and it's all done. Perhaps, Jesus was angry at how lazy the worshippers had become...worship isn't meant to be convenient or easy...it's SUPPOSED to be a sacrifice. It's not about me...It's completely about God. So, why did I go to church today? And what did I bring? Well, honestly, I went cuz it's something I do, and I like to sing and hear Gerry speak. And I brought myself. That sounds like a lazy, self-centered worshipper to me...Time for a change!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
That is a very interesting thot. Right now I am reading a book that is for a course I am taking at SBC. It is called the Mudhouse Sabbath. The author Laura Winner was a practising Jew that became a Christian. Each chapter in book is about a different tradition that the Jews hold and she concludes how we as Christians could learn from the Jews. Her first Chapter was about how the Jews hold the Sabbath Holy and as Christians today have lost the Holliness of the 'the day of rest'. Friday all day until the sunset is in prepration of the Sabbath. For them takes a whole day to prep food and things so that they don't work on a Sabbath. As you were saying... I am guilty of this as well...We just go to church often because that is what we need to do. But have I spend the day before preparing myself (where is my hear at?) to worship God. Do I put everything aside so that the ONE day I can set aside and find rest in the One that created me? After all it is the Day of Rest.
hmm. thank you girls.
Post a Comment