Friday, January 28, 2011

Rights

It's been 94 years since women were given the right to vote in the province of Manitoba. I didn't know we were the first province to give women that right. 2 years later women were given the right to vote across Canada in federal elections. That's not that long ago. We've come a long way with Women's rights since then. I'm very thankful for my right to vote, to own land, to have an education, and basically do whatever I want. I can't imagine living in a place that restricted my choices because of my gender. I have absolutely no idea what oppression or discrimination feels like.

It was only in 1960 that Aboriginal people of Canada were given the right to vote in federal elections. That's only 50 years ago, and the wounds from oppression are still evident in our society. How long will it take to achieve a society that is free from discrimination? Is it even possible?

No comments: