Sunday, January 16, 2005

two more times and i'll be a spinster

Let me tell you about the wedding I went to this weekend. This is a really good story. (Cherise, just to warn you in advance, I will not be exaggerating at all. This is all true!). There are many things to be said about this weekend, but I will tell this story from my perspective, since the other girls will probably tell this story as well. So, here goes...Kendra, Melissa, Marce, Robyn, Rae and I all hopped into one car and drove to Saskatchewan for Joanna and Tony's wedding. When we were there, I was talking to Joanna and Linda came up to Jo and said, "Have you asked her yet?" And Jo said, "No." then she turned to me and said, "I have a question for you. Would you like to be my witness and sign the register for me?" I was so flabbergasted and shocked, I didn't know what to say. But once I caught my breath, I agreed to do it. Now let me explain a little, in talking to Joanna before the wedding, she told me that she wasn't going to have any attendants, and that they were just going to ask some people to be their witnesses. I was under the impression that they weren't even going to have the signing of the register as a part of the ceremony. It would just happen after the ceremony. So let's fast forward to the dress rehearsal. The pastor who was officiating the ceremony said, "So who's the maid of honor?" and he looked down at his paper with the order of service, and says, "Lori?" At that point I was thinking, "what??? I'm the maid of honor??" It hadn't hit me yet. Then he says, "OK, Lori and Joanna, you have to start outside of the sanctuary, and practice walking in." At that point I realized that I was actually supposed to stand up there the whole time. You may think that I was slow in catching on to what was going on, but really, I was in such shock that I wasn't really thinking properly. Joanna then turned to me and said, "I'm so sorry for putting you on the spot like this. I had no idea that he was going to make you walk in and stand in the front." (see, at least I wasn't the only one who was surprised at that.) Later on in the evening, Rachel came up to me and said, "I have a dress that I wore a couple of years ago as a bridesmaid at my friends wedding. It would match Joanna's colors, and it would probably fit you. Do you want to try it on?" So, I tried on the dress. It was a little too big on top, but Jo's mom pinned it for me and I wore it. I had to borrow Melissa's tights and Marcia's shoes so I could be matching. Then Kendra offered to do my hair. Which I was sooooo grateful for, cuz you know me and hair....I'm lucky if it gets combed, never mind done all fancy. So, yeah, the wedding came and I was the maid of honor and I did the fun job of straightening out her train during the service and handing out Kleenex to Jo and holding her bouquet when she couldn't and making sure she didn't fall off of the stool she sat on to sing Tony a song. Wow, there is so much more that I could write, but I think then I'd be here all night. To make it short (if that's even possible by now...) I learned alot this weekend. I learned that we all have gifts to use, we just need to be willing and open to use them. I learned so many others things that I just can't put into words right now. maybe another time. So, that was my weekend. Very unexpected but it was an unforgettable experience. Thanks to the 'ladies fellowship' for making the weekend really fun! have a great week!
PS "Don't worry, it's not a disease!"

No comments: