Thursday, December 17, 2009

Grandparents

Yesterday marked the one year anniversary of the day my grandpa died. It was also 1.5 years to the day of my grandma's funeral. It seems like such a long time ago...and yet there are certain things I can remember so distinctly. I remember the day my grandpa died. I drove to the city to join my cousin and some of his co-workers to sing carols and hand out gifts to the inmates in prison. This was my second year playing guitar for this group. So anyway I drove into the city to meet them, but couldn't resist my temptation to stop in at McDonalds for a breakfast sandwich....so I went in to get one...meanwhile I locked my keys into my car. (I don't know why I didn't go through the drive-thru) I also "conveniently" left my parents cell phone in my car...so I used all my change to call my sister (who lives in the city) on the pay phone. She didn't answer my call. So I was stuck at McD's and had no way of getting to the place I was supposed to meet my group. It was a long ordeal...but some time and $50 (or so) later I had my keys and we were off to jail a little later than expected. I was so frustrated at this point and definitely did NOT feel like putting on my Santa hat and spreading the Christmas Spirit. But I did, and it was fun! When we left jail, I checked my parents cell and there was a message from my parents saying that grandpa had died. It was expected, he had been basically unresponsive for weeks previous to that. I had stayed a few nights at the hospital with him, thinking that it would be any day. So the message wasn't a shock. But it still kind of was. I just remember thinking that it was the worst day ever. I didn't think it could get any worse....and come to think of it...it didn't get worse.
I don't remember crying at all. I remember thinking that I should cry, but I couldn't get any tears out. I actually didn't cry at all, until about a month ago. My grandpa was a big Yankee's fan. Most of my uncles are all Twins fans and my cousins are all Blue-Jays fans. Sports are a huge part of that family...and a good rivalry makes everything more exciting! I think Football was the only sport where everyone could agree on a team (GO VIKINGS!!!). So anyway, after the Yankee's won the World Series this year, I felt the need to visit my grandpa's grave to tell him that they won. I don't know why, I know he doesn't care and that he can't hear me or anything...but I had to go. I also visited grandma's grave for the first time. And I cried for the first time since they had died. I don't know why it takes me almost a year to cry about certain things that happen in my life. I've cried more at other people's grandparent's funerals than my own grandparent's funerals. I don't get it. I feel like I have a heart of stone sometimes.

1 comment:

Trains and Sewing Machines said...

Aw Lori! Sorry about your grandparents, I wouldn't be able to explain why it takes so long for us to grieve sometimes, but I know what you mean about feeling like you have a stone heart sometimes, I think it's our way of "protecting" ourselves from pain and trying to keep up a "strong" appearance. It doesn't all make sense to me either.