Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Continuing Competence

This is the time of year when nurses across the province start frantically trying to remember every article they've read, every educational session they've attended, and every course they've completed over the past year. It's registration renewal time...time to prove we're competent to practice for another year, by showing evidence that we truly are striving to be life-long learners and providing current, research-based, safe, competent care to our patients. This is the first year that I have to complete the annual continuing competence forms. It's a little intimidating...though I was relieved when the 32 pages that I thought I had to fill out, were actually for something else...so my 16 page form seems a little less daunting.

As I sit here reviewing this last year, I realize I've come a long way since being this scared student nurse trying to act confident. I don't have to act anymore. When new grads ask me questions I actually have some answers (or know where to find answers), or find myself starting a discussion with, "The last time when I had a similar situation, we did this...". That being said, I am still constantly learning new things, and am continually being challenged to improve my hands on skills and critical thinking skills. It seems that the more you learn, the more you realize that you don't know.

As I evaluate myself, I realize though I have come a long way...I still have much further to go. This not only goes for me in my professional field...but for me as a person. I have changed a lot in the last few years, some for the better, and other areas could use a lot of improvement. I don't want to wake up one day and say to myself, "I can't believe I've become THAT person." I admit, I have had moments when I didn't like the way I have responded to situations or the way I have treated people. I hope and pray I don't make that a habit. I am thankful for a God who forgives and loves to help people change for the better...cuz that's what He's all about!

No comments: