Wednesday, March 02, 2005

the age-old question

"Then the Lord answered Job from the whirlwind: 'Who is this that questions my wisdom with such ignorant words? Brace yourself, because I have some questions for you, and you must answer them. Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth? Tell me, if you know so much. Do you know how its dimensions were determined and who did the surveying? What supports its foundations, and who laid its cornerstone as the morning stars sang together and all the angels shouted for joy? Who defined the boundaries of the sea as it burst from the womb, and as I clothed it with clouds and thick darkness? For I locked it behind barred gates, limiting its shores. I said, 'Thus far and no farther will you come. Here your proud waves must stop!'...Then Job replied to the Lord, 'I am nothing-how could I ever find the answers? I will put my hand over my mouth in silence.'" (Job 38:1-11; 40:3-4)

I don't think I'm alone with the questions of "why?" Why does God allow bad things happen to good, godly people? I don't know. I was reading in Job today and got the overwhelming feeling that although it's okay to wonder why something happened, it's not okay to question God's authority/judgment in allowing it to happen. We aren't capable of understanding God's ways, and by questioning his authority, we are saying that OUR plan is better than His Divine Plan. Right now, Jordan, Jamie and Brittany are in the very presence of their Creator, something we can't even comprehend! Although this knowledge doesn't stop the hurt, it is reassuring to know that they are in a better place!

Oh Father in Heaven, may we be able to praise You through our hard times. May the tragedies that come our way not taint our perception of who You are, but rather allow us to see You more clearly. I pray that the Klassen and Fehr family would feel Your Presence during this time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

amen lori. look at that linguistic excellence ;) really, there's so much truth in that.